Several Types Of Sewage Treatment Plants Or Bioreactors3 min read
Wastewater treatment system removes all of the impurities and contaminants from the municipal wastewater. This wastewater contains wastes from different sources such as household sewage and wastewater from industries. So, by eliminating all of the impurities from this sewage wastewater the sewage water treatment plant makes this water appropriate for discharging into the fields. In some cases, the wastewater is treated at the point of ejection or we can say “onsite”. But sometimes it is sent to the municipal sewage treatment systems via pipes and pumps. After treating this wastewater, it can be reused in many things which mainly include cultivation, in aquariums etc. The wastewater treatment mainly includes the following steps which are as follows-
- Primary treatment- During this step, the sewage waste is poured into a chamber where the denser solids are settled down. Other impurities such as fats, lightweight solids float upon the surface. Then the solid and the floating impurities are eliminated from the waste. Then the waste is sent into another chamber for further treatment.
- Secondary treatment- During this treatment, the main work is done by microbes and the suspended impurities are removed. Then the wastewater is sent for the tertiary treatment but before that the microbes are filtered out from the treated water.
- Tertiary treatment- In this step, the sewage waste is treated chemically and physically and after this treatment, the water becomes suitable for use in irrigation or it can be disposed of into the waterways.
All these above given are the phases involved in the sewage treatment plant. After treating the wastewater in the wastewater treatment plants, its impurities are eliminated and further can be utilized for various purposes.
With the advancement in technology, there are many types of wastewater treatment plants available nowadays for treating sewage. Some of the commonly used wastewater treatment bioreactors are as follows-
- Moving bed bioreactor- This moving bed bioreactor comprises of an aeration tank and is having the plastic carriers. This type of bioreactors is mainly used for treating industrial wastes. In this bioreactor, the sludge production is lesser and the area required for its installation is also smaller.
- Membrane bioreactor- This membrane bioreactor contains ultrafilters and microfilters. It is mainly useful in the treatment of domestic wastewater. It doesn’t have any type of problems regarding sludge settling. Due to the membranes employed in it, it provides us with a good quality of water. So, after treating the wastewater using the membrane bioreactor, it becomes suitable to release into the coastal waterways or can be used for urban irrigation.
- Sequential batch reactor- This reactor is the most advanced bioreactor employed for treating the wastewater. It is used for treating domestic wastewater. It is a very unique and compact reactor which is very simple to organize and is easy to work with it. Also the wastewater can be retreated many times according to our needs.
These above given are some of the types of sewage treatment plants or bioreactors which are commonly utilized for treating the wastewater with very good efficiency.