The manufacturing industry has expanded due to newer development of technologies and techniques. Pressure die casting is one such technique used in manufacturing the steel cavities used for household and industrial purposes. In this process, the metal is converted into a molten form, and then high pressure is applied over the molten metal to form a cavity of the steel mold, also known as die. This helps in manufacturing various metal and steel equipment and giving them a definite shape of your choice. Let us discuss the process in detail and its advantages.
Pressure die Casting- it’s an advantage
As the name suggests, it is converting one form of metal into other forms using high pressure. This is considered a cost-effective method and precise mode of making different metal components and increasing their strength to tolerate high pressure and density. Various manufacturing units cast molten metal into the steel mold cavity. You can find different methods used to manufacture steel equipment, but pressure dies casting has more advantages besides being a cost-effective and easy process. The following are the few advantages of the press die casting process-
- You can frame complex structures with this process. It saves your money because it needs fewer materials to complete the process and make finished goods
- The dimensional accuracy is excellent as compared to other industrial processes to make steel mold die.
- It can shape hard metals into the desired design without more effort with more accuracy and into the shape you want.
- It provides high luster to the metal so formed and the formed surface area is finished.
- There is less wastage of metal. You will get more amount of metal scrap in other processes, which are not so in the case of pressure die casting.
- This manufacturing process provides longer life to the finished metal. The steel parts are made a thousand to a million times stronger and can also be used for other purposes
- It is economically efficient as it costs less for both small and large volumes of production of goods.
Drawbacks of pressure die casting
Apart from the advantages mentioned above of pressure die casting, manufacturing units also face few drawbacks of this process. The following are a few of them-
- As the cost of a small and large volume of production is the same, but for those industries who need less quantity of casted steel, it can cost more than those who h demand more quantity of it.
- The alloys used during the process must have a low boiling point, which is another drawback of this casting process.
- The casting machines’ capacity is low, and so at a time-limited, molten metals can be cast into a die/steel mold cavity.
- The last disadvantages of its use are limited porosity in the finished good and difficulty in heat treatment.
Press die casting is a process used by large and small scale industries, but its use has become limited due to the above disadvantages. It is also used for large scale production as it costs less as compared to small scale production.