Well, the task of patent search seems easy, but it is not once you get to learn about it more. The Patent Search Cost can be anywhere from $100 to $3000. It solely depends on the invention’s complexity and the research into the patent applications and the existing patterns. You can sometimes use the free online tools available for your own search. But, to dig deeper, you need an attorney for help. Along with the professional fees, you can expect to pay the government search fee once the patent application got submitted.
The Types Of Patent Searches:
The cost of the patent search will also depend on the types of these searches. There are four major search types, and learning about them beforehand will give you an edge over others. It will also help you to find the patent you need faster than everyone else.
- You have the validity search as the first option. Here, the search goes through some of the older patents and with the goal of determining in case the new one is invalid or not.
- Then you have the infringement search. It will help you to determine if the invention might infringe on any of the existing patents. Such a type of search is mainly connected to a lawsuit. For that, help from an attorney will search the purpose well.
- The state-of-the-art search is another one to watch out for. It will give you an overview of the advancements in the same industry.
- Novelty search is one option where you can compare the invention to Prior Art for determining if the invention can qualify for a patent, as you cannot patent anything which is already patented! Here, the Prior Art mainly talks about the patented inventions and unpatented inventions existing before your inventions.
For the proper patent search, there will be a good search through patent databases, scientific journals, and some of the other relevant publications.
Help from the professionals:
The professional patent researchers are always familiar with ways in which you can compare the inventions and sift through the databases. They know the tips and tricks to understand the drawing and wording in patent applications.
They are also going to produce some reports to highlight information related to the goal of patent search. The researcher might also present an opinion about whether the idea of the inventor will qualify for the chosen patent or not. There are various techniques used by them to complete any patent search. They are not just using keywords but also cooperative patent classification. It is one system used both in Europe and the USA, which will group patients as per the type of the invention,
The importance of patent search:
There are various advantages, which make patent search quite important among inventors these days. They are procuring help from a patent attorney for the same.
- You will come across information to help you prepare your very own patent application. When you take the help of Prior Art, you can save on the attorney fees and do less haggling with USPTO after submitting the application.
- The available information will provide you an insight into the company patent’s values.
- On the other hand, you will find about expired patents and can use those for free.
- Moreover, you can evaluate the commercial potential of the invention. If inventions similar to yours are there, then you can save money if you choose not to continue developing the same invention.
- You get the chance to be familiar with technology trends associated with this industry. You will receive ideas on ways to adapt and improve existing inventions. You can save on the R&D costs too.
- If you are planning to buy a patent, you can research it beforehand to confirm if the patent is valid. You can even discover if the patent of your competitor is invalid.
- Learn as much as possible about the inventions of your competitors and get ideas of how you might make a better business investor or partner.
- Existing patents will offer you ideas on ways to improve invention and make it better and also different from any other invention.
- By knowing more about the existing inventions, you can avoid infringement with any other patent from a secondary company. So, you can keep “Freedom to Operate” issues at bay.
- There is no need to put more effort into an invention, which is already patented. So, you can avoid the time-consuming and costly affair or patent application procedure.
Get help from professionals whenever you are aiming for the final patent search. The costing will vary based on the mentioned points, but in the end, you will know more about the patent before going for the application procedure. So, you can easily save some bucks from your side.