As understood from the name itself, the provisional patent application is a provision in patent laws of multiple countries. These laws will allow the applicants to file a patent application, which will not comply with any complex structural requirements of any non-provisional or regular patent application.
One of the primary aims behind such provision is to help out the applicants to get an official priority date at a quicker rate. So, there won’t be any delay while getting any non-provisional patent application drafted. So, it will help you to keep the Provisional Patent Cost to the minimum.
The major aspects:
It is vital to check out the major aspects of the provisional application before moving forward with this option. Some of those are quicker turnaround to secure the earliest possible priority and the encompassing language so that the priority never gets denied while filing for the application.
- It is vital here that the professionals involved with the patient application preparation understand the applicant’s path to complete the specific applications.
- It will include all the possible scenes and ensure that the priority rights are not quite lost in this venture out there.
Drafting the provisional patient application:
The provisional application needs to be drafted in an all-encompassing fashion so that the non-provisional applications globally can easily get filed with priority from it. It will help to attain the patent grant.
- The non-provisional applications will take priority from the provisional ones, which are valid in case they don’t disclose any new matter.
- So, it is highly recommended that you take support from the experts while drafting your provisional application. Procuring help from experts will ensure minimal patent cost and saving some time as well.
- For catering to such necessities, experts with years of experience will offer a well-designed provisional application draft.
- This draft will cover everything from the expansions to embodiments and even applications of the invention so that it can be converted to non-provisional applications conveniently when the time comes.
- These experts are well-trained to deliver applications cost-effectively ad quickly to ensure priority dates for invention.
The cost and procedure in detail:
The cost of filing the provisional patent application will have two major components. One is the filing fees for the provisional application, which will range between $100 and $200 for the smaller and large entities, respectively.
Another one is the cost of the patent attorney for drafting and filing the provisional patent application. The charges for an attorney will vary a lot depending on some factors like a field of invention, complexity of the procedure, and the experience of the patent attorneys.
For an approximate idea, the patent attorney will charge around $1000 to $3500 for drafting and filing up the provisional application. Make sure to consider the factors mentioned above for pre-setting a budget for the entire service.
The process of filling out the provisional patent application:
Before you visit an attorney for the provisional patent application, it is important to learn the steps included in this procedure. The steps are listed below in detail for better understanding.
- Non-disclosure agreement:
Most of the patent attorney firms will have a non-disclosure agreement with the inventor. It is to ensure that the invention’s confidentiality disclosed must be maintained.
- Sharing the invention disclosure:
Here, you get to share the major invention related to the invention to the attorney, like flow charts, drawings, and more. Most of the inventors will receive the “Invention Disclosure Form.” Here, you have to answer questions to come up with proper invention disclosure for your invention.
- Drafting the provisional patent application:
Depending on the information as provided in the invention disclosure, the attorney will start working on the provisional patent application and provide the end result to the inventor for that final review. Depending on the review and ensuring the scope of the invention has been properly covered in the draft, the provisional patent application will be filed in USPTO. In the end, a receipt will be generated.
Review of the draft is mandatory:
A provisional application must be drafted in an all-encompassing fashion. It helps the attorneys to file the non-provisional patent application taking valid priority. In the end, the inventor will have the patent grant attained. These non-provisional patent applications will always take priority from the provisional patent application.
In case you have already done the part of drafting a provisional patent application, get expert reviews on it. The professionals will offer critical feedbacks and instructions on how you can improve the draft further. They will further review your amendments as made to ensure that you are set to file the provisional patent application with the patent office.
So, catching up with a well-trained patent attorney is important for drafting the best provisional patent application. You can log online and research more to find the best names.