We have already written about the different platforms available to create an online store. We have explained why it is so important to choose a good platform before starting your store. Every platform is different and your goal should be to find the one that meets the needs of your business. Otherwise, you risk ending up with a system that is ill-suited to your needs, which could put you in a difficult position in the long run. Simply put, a platform that is not appropriate can prevent your business from growing efficiently and profitably. If you are hesitating between BigCommerce and Magento, this article is for you.
Which platform to choose for your online store?
BigCommerce and Magento are two big players in the world of e-commerce platforms. Both have a reputation of being powerful platforms for building an online store that allow you to customize your store and integrate it with the necessary extensions. They are also two ideal platforms for very large online stores. Let’s take a look at some of the main differences between BigCommerce and Magento, to help you make the best decision.
Magento is an open source platform that has evolved to look more like a SaaS magento development company platform by introducing a cloud offering. The latter allows users to have the possibility of having a single provider that combines the platform and the hosting.
BigCommerce is already uniquely positioned as an open source SaaS platform. This allows merchants to make customizations and integrations that were historically only possible with an open source platform. BigCommerce also offers 4 months free for Magento users who want to migrate.
From June 30, 2020, Magento 1 will reach the end of its life. That is, there will be no more support or updates. Magento therefore encourages its users to migrate to Magento 2. But since there is a necessary migration, it may be a good time to consider the options available in the market.
So, to help you out, we then do a little comparison of BigCommerce and Magento. Not sure which one is right for you? Here are some points that compare the two platforms with some of their main advantages.
The differences between BigCommerce and Magento
- With BigCommerce, updates and bug fixes are automatic. So, you always have the latest version and you have no downtime during an update.
- When BigCommerce deploys an update that activates a new feature, you have access to it immediately. You can also decide when you want to activate this new feature.
- BigCommerce includes hosting and you have no space or bandwidth limits.
- With BigCommerce’s automatic updates, you don’t have to pay for ongoing maintenance costs, which is sometimes necessary with other sites like those with WordPress.
- BigCommerce has a drag and drop page builder that will help you easily build your online store bigcommerce development services, even if you don’t have technical programming knowledge.
- However, the terminology can be difficult to understand with BigCommerce and may require some adaptation.
- The biggest advantage of Magento is that the solution is completely free. But like with WordPress, you’ll need to purchase a plan with a web host, install Magento yourself, and potentially have to deal with a developer if you don’t have programming knowledge.
- You need to have some technical knowledge to use Magento well. Having said that, if you have them, you will have a lot of flexibility in your finished product.
- Since there are a lot of people still using Magento, there is a great community which makes it easy to find the answers to your questions.
- The necessary updates take time and require a lot of work. And the more you customize your store, the more difficult (and expensive) it will be to maintain.
- The learning curve from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is significant, because Magento 2 uses a different architecture and newer technologies.